THE FIRST HANDHELD CASTABLE INSTRUMENT THAT PROVIDES INSTANTANEOUS PROFILES OF TEMPERATURE, SALINITY, AND SOUND SPEED
Designed for coastal profiling, the CastAway-CTD® incorporates a 6-electrode conductivity cell, coupled with a fast response thermistor to provide highly accurate, high resolution CTD measurements to depths of 100 m. Now Integrated with HYPACK!
NOW AVAILABLE: The CastAway-CTD educational curriculum with emphasis on ocean chemistry for use by high school and university level instructors who wish to provide students:
- The theory behind SALINITY: why is the ocean salty and how is salinity measured?
- What is the Law of Constant Proportions and how does it apply to salinity?
- Hands-on CastAway field activity emphasizing proper scientific data collection procedures;
- Post-field work analysis of CastAway data and comparisons to global ocean temperatures and salinity data-sets available online;
- Conservative and non-conservative elements;
- Residence Time worksheet for tracers;
- and more!
FIELD READY AND RUGGED
The CastAway-CTD is a small, rugged and technically advanced CTD designed for profiling to depths of up to 100m. The system incorporates modern technical features which allow it to achieve a 5 Hz response time, fine spatial resolution and high accuracy. It uses a six electrode flow-through conductivity cell with zero external field coupled with a rapid response thermistor to attain high measurement accuracies. The instrument is simple to deploy, does not require a pump and is hydrodynamically designed to free fall rate of 1 m/s.
The integrated real-time data display screen, internal GPS sensor and automated wireless data transfer are unique features that simplify data collection.
- Salinity Accuracy: 0.1 PSU
- Temperature Accuracy: 0.05°C
- Small size
- Integrated GPS position
- Real-time display screen
- Wireless data transfer
- 5 Hz sampling rate
Each CastAway-CTD cast is referenced with both time and location using its built-in GPS receiver. Latitude and longitude are acquired both before and after each profile. Plots of conductivity, temperature, salinity and sound speed versus depth can be viewed immediately on the CastAway's integrated color LCD screen in the field. Raw data can be easily downloaded via Bluetooth to a Windows computer for detailed analysis and /or export at any time.